Harley Quinn Inspired Makeup Tutorial

Recently I went to a huge fancy dress night at my uni which was video game themed. I struggled for ages to think of what to go as, with ideas ranging from Lara Croft to a Tetris Brick, but I eventually settled for Harley Quinn from the Batman Franchise. Although the makeup I went for wasn't technically from a video game (it's the look from the new Suicide Squad film worn by Margot Robbie) but I loved it all the same. Again, it's not exactly the look she wears in the film but it was inspired but the kind of colours and styles she wears. I haven't got many proper photos of the look so you'll have to settle for the iphone photo below but you can get the idea. Here's how I did it -


I started by applying my base as normal. I went for Nars Sheer Glow, Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer, Rimmel Stay Matte Powder, Sleek Contour Kit and MAC Melba Blush. I then moved onto brows and used my trusty Anastasia Dip Brow Pomade and set it with the Maybelline Brow Drama Mascara. For lips, I kept it fairly simply with MAC's Faux Lipstick as I didn't want to have to keep re-applying it throughout the night. However, if I was wearing this look to a night where I wouldn't be out for so long & didn't mind checking on it every now and again I'd have definitely gone for a darker red shade as I think it would have made the look more dramatic. However, when there's some great DJ's playing the last thing you want to do is keep running to the toilet to check it hasn't smeared all over your face; hence the nude.

For my eyes, I used the Revolution Redemption Acid Brights Eyeshadow Palette, which is pictured above. I primed my lids using MAC's Painterly Paint Pot and then applied the white eyeshadow from the palette over both lids to ensure the colour would be as bright as can be. For the left eye, I used the neon pink shade all over, with a bit of the darker pink shade & the matte black blended into the crease. For the right eye, I used the shimmery light blue all over and then again, blended a mix of the dark blue and black into the crease. I then used a flick of liquid liner with the L'oreal Superliner Perfect Slim and finished off with some of Benefit's Roller Lash Mascara. To get the dripping effect under my eyes and down my cheeks, I used Barry M's Dazzle Dust in the shade 84 (pink) and 15 (blue) mixed with a little drop of water. I then used a small liner brush to blend the mix under my eye and drag it down my face to create the 'drip' effect. Once I was happy with the amount of drips I had, I finished off the look with a dab of Barry M's Fine Glitter Dust in Silver to the corner of each eye. 

For my hair, I seperated it into two sections and then backcombed it like crazy. I then tied each section up into two ponytails and gave it even more of a comb. It looked a bit like a birds nest but it didn't lose any volume all night, meaning it looked just as good when I left the club. I used some of the Superdrug Colour Hairspray to dip-dye the ends, one side blue and one side pink. I was impressed with how vibrant the colour was considering it was only £2.99 per can! It did rub off a little onto my skin but it came off really easily in the shower the next day.

There we have it, a Harley Quinn inspired look! As I mentioned earlier, this isn't the exact look from the film as I didn't go for the completely white face, face tattoos or the costume but I really like how it came out and a number of people recognised who I was meant to be! The look I did for Halloween was a little similar to this look too, but I used multi-colour drips all down my face, you can check that look out here. It's a really fun look to go for and always gets lots of compliments!

What's your favourite fancy dress makeup look?

Laura xx  

4 comments

Let's be friends on bloglovin!

Follow